Have you ever wished you could view your friends on a big screen while Face Timing them? Then, you may have wondered if you can use FaceTime on your Apple TV.
Apple recently announced that FaceTime is now available on tvOS17, the latest firmware version of the Apple TV. Nevertheless, the tvOS17 is still in its beta phase. This means it might still contain several bugs. If you aren’t much of a techie, you may want to avoid updating your Apple TV to tvOS17 until the version is optimized properly.
In the meantime, you can use the methods in this article to use Facetime on your Apple TV.
You can get FaceTime on your Apple TV by mirroring your iPad/iPhone’s screen onto your TV through AirPlay. Another way to use FaceTime on your Apple TV is to use an adapter to connect your iOs device to your TV.
Keep reading to learn how to apply these steps in detail.
3 Easy Ways to Put FaceTime On Your Apple TV
Connect your iPhone to Your Apple TV with an Adapter
The fastest way to use FaceTime on your Apple TV is to connect your iPhone to the TV with an adapter. An adapter is necessary for this connection because no existing cable can plug into your TV and iPhone simultaneously.
Take the following steps to link your iPhone to your Apple TV with an adapter:
- Get an adapter that has both small and large ports.
- Connect your phone’s charging cable to the small port.
- Plug an HDMI cable into the large port.
- Then, connect the other end of the charging cord to your phone.
- Plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on your smart TV.
- Now, press the Source or Input button on your TV’s remote.
- You’ll see a list of inputs on your TV screen.
- Click on HDMI.
- Now, open the FaceTime app on your phone and call your friend.
- Your friend’s face will appear on the TV screen.
Please note that your TV has no camera. So, your friend won’t be able to see you if you fix your eyes on the TV screen while talking to them.
To avoid this issue, prop your phone against the TV until the video call ends. If you’re worried that your phone will fall over, attach an iPhone clamp to your TV and insert your phone into the clamp.
Use the AirPlay Feature
AirPlay is an Apple feature that allows users to share music, photos, and videos from their iOs devices to their Apple TVs. This feature works by mirroring your iPhone or iPad screen on your TV. What most people don’t know about AirPlay is that you can also use the feature to share content from your apps.
While AirPlay doesn’t support all iOS apps, it works perfectly with FaceTime. So, you can watch your friends on your TV while you FaceTime them.
Follow these steps to use FaceTime on your Apple TV through AirPlay:
- Don’t open the FaceTime app on your phone yet.
- Connect your iPhone and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Next, slide the bottom of your phone’s screen up.
- You’ll see the Control Center now.
- Click the Screen Mirroring button.
- If you have several smart TVs, you’ll see a list of them.
- Select your Apple TV.
- You can view your iPhone’s screen on your TV now.
- Now, open the FaceTime app on your phone.
- Tap the contact of the person you want to call.
- Once your friend picks up the call, their face will appear on your TV screen.
Remember to lean your iPhone against your TV screen so that your friends can see you during the call.
Update Your Apple TV to tvOS 17
Think the previous steps are too complicated? Then you should consider updating your Apple TV to tvOS 17. The tvOs 17 is the only Apple TV version that supports the FaceTime app. Click here to know How to Update your Apple TV to tvOS17
This method is more convenient because it lets you FaceTime your friends directly from your TV screen without taking any preliminary steps. Moreover, you won’t have to prop your phone against the TV while FaceTiming them.
You should know that the tvOs 17 is still in its beta phase. So, you might experience some glitches while using the app.
Use the guide below to update your Apple TV to tvOS17:
- Tap the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Scroll to the System option.
- Then, select the option.
- Next, choose Software Updates.
- Tap Get Beta Updates.
- Click on tvOS 17 Developer Beta.
- Your Apple TV will start updating to the tvOS 17 version.
Once the update is complete, open the Appstore on your Apple TV and search for the FaceTime app. After downloading the app, open it and try calling a friend from your TV. Your Apple TV will connect wirelessly to your iPhone camera and microphone and display your friend’s face on its screen.
You can now FaceTime your friends from your TV screen. Avoid turning off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings on your iPhone to avoid disconnecting the call. You should also keep your phone close to the TV to keep the connection stable.
Wait, there’s more! If you love Disney Plus and want to watch it on your Apple TV, I have another post for you on “How to Get Disney Plus on Apple TV”. Click here